Junior Development Program
The overall objective of the Junior Development Program is to instil the important lifestyle habits of exercise and social interaction into each participant. The programme consists of weekly one hour sessions each Sunday during the school term and is open to all boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 12 years of age.
The grouping of this particular age is important as it will assist with inducing development by ensuring that participants are interacting with peers at the same stage of maturity and physical development.
This program represents the first stage in the ACBA Player Lifecycle and is ACBA’s first step in building the next generation of basketball players.
Specific goals of the program are:
- To develop strong and sound basketball fundamentals
- Development of interpersonal and social skills through encouragement of participation in team environments
- Development of physical skills including hand-eye coordination and running
- Introduce the sport of basketball and the family environment of ACBA
- Delivery of the program in a safe, family oriented environment whilst maintaining a professional style of delivery
The programme has been developed by our Junior Development Director, Emma Bramston who is assisted with delivery of the content by members from the current Senior Development and Representative squads.
Children participating in the program are also invited to join the Junior Dragons or Cubs teams to compete in the local Run Ball Tournament. Run Ball is a hybrid game of basketball developed by Merve Tait in New Zealand, and aims to build on the fundamentals of the game.